Friday, May 3, 2013

A Graduate


anɑʊ hæə dɪgrɪkomjunɪkeʃən dɪsɔrdɚændɛɛdjukeʃən!
(IPA for: I now have a degree in communication disorder and deaf education!)
(Senior class) 
I lived! I made it to graduation!
I've had a remarkable education experience, and I'm sincerely grateful to have to received a university degree.The most exciting part of this final semester was the opportunity to be a student clinician. It was the best way to finish my B.S. 

What's next? I applied to the masters programs in Utah and got in, but before I even decided which one I was leaning towards I hit the annual spring slide. Every spring my body gets to a point of exhaustion that makes all my dysautonomia symptoms worse. This spring was hard in new ways one of which was gastroparesis. Because of that, and with the help of some mild coercion I decided to take a year off before going to grad school.

I'm kind of nervous about it. I don't like putting off the rest of my education I'd rather forge ahead and hope good health catches up with me. However I'm starting to think that maybe that isn't how things work.
My doctors have been very reassuring though as the above prescription demonstrates. :)

My biggest fear is that I'll be either too idle, or I'll get caught up in other activities and not give rest/rehab an opportunity to work. Balance is such a tricky skill to master.

Really it's a relief to know that I can rest for a while, and maybe not being in class will give room in my life for other great things!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, again, Charlie! I am so amazed at what you have accomplished. I know you will get it done when the time is right. I hope you get lots of rest and also have lots of fun the next year! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE AMAZING! WAY TO GO CHARILIE! You are my celebration. I'm so proud of you and SO GLAD to have you home. YEAH YIPPEE CONGRATS and WAY TO GO! Where ever you go my love will follow you!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super accomplishment! Play hard enough that you don't feel lazy, but rest enough that you have energy to play. Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Charlie. I miss you and your happy face. It's amazing realize that I haven' seen you since before your stroke. I'm sad I missed your graduation! Congrats! You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete