Wednesday, March 30, 2011

All patched up!


The hole in my heart (PFO) is now patched!

Surgery was not too bad. It all happened in one day. I showed up at 8 and got to leave a little after 5. They used a femoral line to get to my heart. This is the 2nd femoral line I've had in 2 months. I'm so glad they didn't have to crack open my chest, but I've got to say I don't find femoral lines very comfortable.



My mom LOVES pictures so she gave one of the nurses a camera.


Just before they started

This is the device they used to close the hole. It is bigger than I expected
You can just make it out on the x-ray.

They had a hard time getting around the pacemaker wires but eventually they got it where it needed to be. Before I even came to my heart started to beat irregularly. That was the complication we were most worried about. For now we are going to give it time to gets used to the device and see if it goes back to normal, or whatever my hearts approximation of normal is.


The hardest thing at the moment is my blood pressure is super low. I can't stay up for long before I black out. I'm trying to be especially careful not to fall. The doctor said not to jar the device or it could break loose, also I don't want to hit my head while on blood thinners.


Everyone has been so nice. I've got candy, movies, and books to keep myself occupied, plus before the closure a friend did glitter toes for me! (thanks Mette)


I'm very grateful for all the prayers said for me. Thank you for all the support and love you've shown me.

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad things went well. - Love the glitter toes - those would make anyone smile :)
    Prayers for quick healthy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad everything went well and I'm glad your mom had the nurse take pictures!! Hope your BP (blood pressure, not your sister :-) ) comes up soon! Until then, enjoy being able to hang around and let everyone wait on you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes me so happy Charlie! I am glad things are going well. My mom is a picture taker too, so I know how it is! Glitter toes are so fun, love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you Charlie. Hurry up and feel better! I keep praying for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's only uncomfortable to have a peice of plastic bigger than my big toe nail shoved through my body? No big deal, she says. HA! I'm glad you're doing alright Charles. Glad you're keeping us in the loop, too.

    PS---Glad it's worth it not to have your chest cracked open again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one tough little chica! Seriously. You're a rockstar! I hope your heart adjusts quickly and you start to feel better soon. Sorry to hear your blood pressure is low. I love your sense of humor through everything. Get better soon! Do you need me to bring you some treats or brain activities?! I miss you two! PS that lipgloss you gave me is amazing! I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you Charlie...You are such a trooper!! I hope you bled chocolate!!! Please get feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete