Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bubbles

I recently had a test to figure out how big the hole in my heart is. The test is called "Transcranial doppler with bubbles". They put a something like a hat on my head that ultrasounds the main arteries in my brain. Then through an IV they push some air bubbles. They use the ultrasound to see and hear if bubbles are getting through the hole into the wrong side of my heart and then into my brain. PFOs (the type of hole I have) are given a rating between 1-5 . 1 meaning not much gets through. 5 a lot gets through. I got a rating of 5+ it sounded like pretty much everything was getting through.



My cardiologists were arguing about whether or not to go through with the closure since there is a risk of arrhythmias, however now that we know so much is getting through they feel that the only option is too close it soon. The closure is set for March 28th.


The video below is what we expected to hear during the test. He said to expect 2-10 bubbles.


This next video is what we heard when we did my TCD bubble. (Warning it is kinda loud)


Cool right? I had to chuckle to myself because while they were doing the test all I could think was THIS.

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I had no idea what your post was going to be about, but that's exactly what I thought of when I read the title. You're fantastic! Good luck with the surgery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie, that video from Nemo is too funny! I can't believe you remembered it and you could find that clip! We pray for you everyday! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - bubble bubble toil and trouble. :) We will keep you in our prayers and thougts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're always best in whatever you do, and in this case it happens to be having the most bubbly test they've ever heard of. you're in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bubble noises are so funny! Good luck with the surgery, Love you Charlie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie! I do remember you, we went to Jr. High together. Thanks for letting me know you had a blog, I am not very blog savvy so I would have never found you but thanks for the comment! Thank you for your positive attitude, sounds like a lot is happening with you also, it is crazy what the lord will test us with that makes us become stronger in the end! Love you Charlie and good luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete